Los Angeles boycotts Arizona

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Los Angeles boycotts Arizona Reply with quote

Los Angeles passes Arizona boycott over immigration law

The Los Angeles City Council overwhelmingly approved a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and governments Wednesday unless the state repeals a new law giving police the power to question a detainee's immigration status. Several other California cities, including San Francisco and Oakland, have already adopted resolutions requesting city departments to not sign any new contracts with Arizona companies.

The Arizona law requires immigrants to carry their registration documents at all times and allows police to question individuals' immigration status in the process of enforcing any other law or ordinance. The Los Angeles resolution passed Wednesday said Arizona's new immigration law "encourages racial profiling and violates Fourteenth Amendment guarantees of due process and equal protection for U.S. citizens, legal residents and visitors who are detained for suspicion of being in the country unlawfully."

The city's legislative analyst reported that Los Angeles currently has $56 million in contracts with companies headquartered in Arizona. The city's Harbor Department, which has $26 million of such contracts, is opposing the resolution, the report said. This includes money for the "Clean Truck Program," it said. "The Harbor does not recommend rescinding this incentive program due to adverse effects this action would have on the environment and public health," the analyst wrote. The resolution also prohibits city employees from traveling to Arizona "unless special circumstances can be demonstrated" that canceling a trip would "harm city interests."

The National Council of La Raza announced a boycott last week against Arizona's $18.6 billion tourism industry because of the new law, and called on other groups to join. Nearly 30 organizations have come on board, including the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network, People for the American Way, the Japanese American Citizens League and the Service Employees International Union.

Critics of the law say it will lead to racial profiling, while supporters say it involves no racial profiling and is needed to crack down on increasing crime involving illegal immigrants.

--------------------

Well done the Angelinos! But it's quite a serious thing really - have there been many incidents in recent history where a major US city boycotts an entire state in this way?
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Only dopey liberal cities like this one who don't even understand the law. If they did, they wouldn't be boycotting, not that boycotting works. Every time I hear someone one voicing off about the Arizona immigration law, I just have to laugh. Ignorance is truly bliss, huh? lol! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should pop round to LA, San Francisco and Oakland to put them all straight!
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to think of something to say to Pirty about all of this without getting Banned from this site that I love !!!
I had so Much things to say .....Then I Realized Bob Could say it for me Smile

Ps Love You Bob ....
When the rain falls ....It don"t fall on one mans house !!!!

Rumour without Humour !!!! (They Don't know what they do )
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that I never thought I would be agreeing with LA, but here I am doing just that! Good for California!! It is a ridiculous Nazi type law that they should be boycotted for. I used to say that one of the few states that I would leave Florida for was Arizona. I loved living there, but no more. Not only are their governmental officials INSANE, but the equally as insane population voted them in!! Not a chance now...It is a shame that we have to hit them economically to make them do the right thing and hopefully this open their eyes. They are dangerous!!!!
luke

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirty, what is it you think people are misunderstanding about this law? i don't know anything about this, so it would just be nice to hear it explained Smile
modern

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pirtybirdy wrote:
No. Only dopey liberal cities like this one who don't even understand the law. If they did, they wouldn't be boycotting, not that boycotting works. Every time I hear someone one voicing off about the Arizona immigration law, I just have to laugh. Ignorance is truly bliss, huh? lol! Laughing

It's always nice to read from our resident progressive...go on gal!!!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arizona Official Threatens to Cut Off Los Angeles Power as Payback for Boycott
By Judson Berger
FOXNews.com

A member of Arizona's top government utilities agency threw down the gauntlet in a letter to Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, threatening to cut off the city's power supply as retribution for the city's boycott of Arizona.

"If Los Angeles wants to boycott Arizona, it had better get used to reading by candlelight." That's the message from a member of Arizona's top government utilities agency, who threw down the gauntlet Tuesday in a letter to Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa by threatening to cut off the city's power supply as retribution. Gary Pierce, a commissioner on the five-member Arizona Corporation Commission, wrote the letter in response to the Los Angeles City Council's decision last week to boycott the Grand Canyon State -- in protest of its immigration law -- by suspending official travel there and ending future contracts with state businesses.

Noting that a quarter of Los Angeles' electricity comes from Arizona power plants, Pierce threatened to pull the plug if the City Council does not reconsider. "Doggone it -- if you're going to boycott this candy store ... then don't come in for any of it," Pierce told FoxNews.com.

In the letter, he ridiculed Villaraigosa for saying that the point of the boycott was to "send a message" by severing the "resources and ties" they share. "I received your message; please receive mine. As a statewide elected member of the Arizona Corporation Commission overseeing Arizona's electric and water utilities, I too am keenly aware of the 'resources and ties' we share with the city of Los Angeles," Pierce wrote. "If an economic boycott is truly what you desire, I will be happy to encourage Arizona utilities to renegotiate your power agreements so Los Angeles no longer receives any power from Arizona-based generation."

Appearing to tap into local frustration in Arizona over the raft of boycotts and threatened boycotts from cities across the country, including Los Angeles, Pierce warned that Arizona companies are willing and ready to fight boycott with boycott. "I am confident that Arizona's utilities would be happy to take those electrons off your hands," Pierce wrote. "If, however, you find that the City Council lacks the strength of its convictions to turn off the lights in Los Angeles and boycott Arizona power, please reconsider the wisdom of attempting to harm Arizona's economy."

Pierce told FoxNews.com that he was speaking for himself, not the entire commission, though he has the support of at least one other member. But Arizona has some serious leverage over Los Angeles, as well as the rest of California. The state and city get electricity from a nuclear power plant outside Phoenix, as well as from coal-fired power plants in northern Arizona and two giant hydroelectric power generators along the Colorado River.

Despite that, the Los Angeles City Council voted overwhelmingly last week to ban future business with Arizona -- a decision that could cost Arizona millions of dollars in lost contracts.

-----------------------

"Pierce told FoxNews.com that he was speaking for himself, not the entire commission, though he has the support of at least one other member."

Doggone it!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Native American man confronts 'illegal immigration' protesters

thumbs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: