Vegetarian Pie... Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stones

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Vegetarian Pie... Help Reply with quote

We have visitors this weekend and Juamei and I are going to make an amazing roast dinner (Juamei's potatoes are the best). One of my friends is a vegetarian and I really want to make like a nice pie or something she can have with hers instead of meat. I'm thinking maybe something I can make on saturday and then reheat a slice before serving.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recipes for fillings? I normally like my pies to have meat or fruit in them so I'm stumped. Oh, and helpfully she is allergic to nuts so no nutty recipes. Smile

I'll post pics of the winning pie!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you get the right kind of soya chunks, and soak them in vegetable stock you could make a pretty tasty pie with them and broccoli carrot and white sauce.

edit: now that I think - basically the same as that chicken pie that was posted a while back, but with soya!
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think You can't go wrong with quiche ....she can have the roast pots and a nice little green salad ????

here's an old recipe of mine for It ....and as i say at the bottom of recipe U can make it with anything....Hope this helps Smile

http://couchtripper.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=7853&sid=cb590d11a6b9680d4e819a7fe5ac2d25
Stones

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your help you two. I meant to reply before and take photos but... well, I don't have an excuse.

Discovering a large amount of mushrooms in the house made me decide to make... Mushroom and Ale Pie. It was pretty damn good. It was kind of meaty tasting too like all food should be!

Aja - Your quiche recipe looks yummy, I'll definately be making some soon. Asparasgus has come in to season here so I think they'll be going in! Also, I think I'm in love with Kilo.
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Kilo too Smile

mushroom and Ale pie sounds interesting..Any chance of a recipe ?
Stones

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly made it up so I don't have measurements but it was pretty much:

Any mushrooms - I used regular and chesnut
Ale - Use less if you're using a dark ale or stout.
Shallots or onions
Veg Stock
Butter
Bisto powder
Puff pastry.

Chop shallots and soften in butter. Add mushrooms and fry for about 5 mins. Add ale and stock. Bring to boil and then reduce for about 5 mins or till you get the amount of liquid you want. Thicken with bisto powder for that lovely meaty flavour.

Slop in to some kind of dish and pop a puff pastry lid on then whack in the oven for a bit. Or cook the pastry seperately and then plonk it on the dish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: