WCFN-Mexico-#2 GRILLED ROADSIDE WHOLE CHICKEN

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: WCFN-Mexico-#2 GRILLED ROADSIDE WHOLE CHICKEN Reply with quote

I Loved this Recipe and what I realized was U can make any kind of chicken this way Jerk or Tandoori would be great ~~~~

Grilled Road side whole Chicken and Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

The Stuff

* Servings: 4

* For the marinade
* 1-1/2 tbl ground ancho chile powder
* 1 tsp dried oregano, preferably Mexican
* A big pinch of ground cloves
* 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, preferably Mexican canela
* 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed through a garlic press
* 3 tbl vinegar (apple cider vinegar gives a Mexican flavor)
* 1/4 cup orange juice
* 1 tsp salt, plus a little more for the onions
* 1 large (3 lb) chicken (sometimes called a large frying chicken, or a small roasting chicken)
* 2 large bunches green onions, preferably the type with large (1 inch) white bulbs, (these "knob" onions are available at Mexican markets and many farmers' markets), roots and wilted outer leaves removed
* A little vegetable oil or olive oil for brushing the onions
* About 1 cup roasted Tomatillo Salsa, for serving

What to do

In a small bowl, mix together all the marinade ingredients.

Heat one side of a gas grill to medium. If you have a grill with three burners, heat the outer two to medium, leaving the center one off. Or light a charcoal fire and let it burn until the charcoal is covered with white ash and about medium-hot; bank half the coals to one side of the grill, half to the other.

While the grill is heating, remove the giblets (if there are any) from the cavity of the chicken. Flip the chicken onto its breast. Using poultry shears, cut down both sides of the backbone from tail to neck; discard backbone. Or, if you don't have shears, lay the bird on its back, insert a long heavy knife into the body cavity and press down hard with a rocking motion to cut down through both sides of the backbone. Open the bird out onto your work surface, breast side up. Make sure that the legs are turned inward. Using your fist or a mallet, wallop the bird on the breast, hard enough to dislodge the center bones and flatten out the breast. Twist the last joint of the wings up over the breast and then down behind the "shoulders," tucking them in firmly to keep them in place during grilling.

Smear both sides of the chicken with the marinade. Lay in the center of the grill (it wil not be over direct heat). Cook, without turning, basting from time to time with any remaining marinade, until the juices run clear when a thigh is pierced deeply with a fork (an instant-read thermometer should register about 160 degrees when inserted at the thickest part of the thigh), about 45 minutes. If you're cooking over charcoal, you'll wnat to add more charcoal to the fire after an hour or so - the internal temperature of the grill should stay at about 325 degrees.

About 10 minutes before the chicken is ready, brush or spray the green onions with oil and sprinkle with salt. Grill directly over the fire, turning frequently, until tender and browned.

Remove the chicken to a cutting board. It will lose less juice if you cover it loosely with foil and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes.

Cut the chicken into quarters ( or smaller pieces). Transfer a portion to each of four dinner plates. Top with the grilled onions, and you're ready to serve. Pass the salsa separately.

seasoned before cooking ~~~

Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

Salsa Tomate Verde Asado

If all-raw tomatillo salsa is all light-fresh-immediate, roasted tomatillo salsa is richer and more settled, balancing freshness with the sweet caramel of pan-roasting. I love the way it perks up grilled steak tacos or makes a black bean tostada a dish to dream about. And a soft tortilla full of chorizo sausage and browned potatoes plays incredibly well with roasted tomatillo salsa. You can make the base of this salsa in advance—as much as several days. But I'd advise you to add the cilantro (finely chop it) and onion when you're ready to serve.

Makes 1 ½ cups

* 4 medium (about 8 ounces total) tomatillos, husked, rinsed and halved
* 2 large garlic cloves, peeled
* Hot green chiles to taste (I like 2 serranos or 1 jalapeño), stemmed and roughly chopped
* About 1/3 cup (loosely packed) roughly chopped cilantro
* ½ small white onion, finely chopped
* Salt

Set a large (10-inch) non-stick skillet over medium-high heat (if a non-stick skillet is unavailable, lay in a piece of foil). Lay in the garlic and tomatillos (cut side down). When the tomatillos are well browned, 3 or 4 minutes, turn everything over and brown the other side. (The tomatillos should be completely soft.)

Scrape the tomatillos and garlic into a blender or food processor, and let cool to room temperature, about 3 minutes. Add the chile, cilantro and ¼ cup water. Blend to a coarse puree. Pour into a salsa dish and thin with a little additional water if necessary to give the salsa an easily spoonable consistency.

Scoop the chopped onion into a strainer and rinse under cold water. Stir into the salsa. Taste and season with salt, usually about ½ teaspoon.

Ok this took me for ever to post ..But it was really quite simple to do Smile and really delish and as i said before You could turn it into any kind of chicken dish !!!!

All Mexican dishes came from this cookbook which I am loving Smile

http://www.kalamazoogourmet.com/rbme154.php
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that chicken looks brilliant! And it's bloody 2am... now what do I do?! haha
Ash

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YUMMY YUMMY Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: