recommend an american weekly political debate show

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: recommend an american weekly political debate show Reply with quote

over here we have a show called question time ( and a similair show on the radio called any questions ), theres a chairperson and usually a panel of 5 - usually someone from each of the three main parties, the other two being someone from business, the media etc, and sometimes you'll get someone from one of the smaller parties. a couple of times a year the bbc goes crazy and you'll get someone from the left or a trade union.

the audience get to ask the questions ( although they're selected by the chairperson ) and they're debated by the panel - who don't know what the questions will be.

what is there in america like this?

SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is Face the Nation, although I am not sure of the exact set up of the show, Crossfire and Meet the Press, which are all national shows. There are loads of local political shows as well.
luke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks spurs, although none of those are really what i'm looking for ( and crossfire finished five years ago! )

face the nation and meet the press all seem to be a interviewer and interviewee. i'm looking for something like the above show, where you have different people offering different perspectives debating on issues - say someone from the democrats, a republican, someone from a smaller party - like the tea party thing or a green, someone from business or a union, a journalist or academic etc.

basically, question time america!

there must be something like it, i mean, you've got like a zillion tv channels! its weird cos i've searched google and can't seem to find anything Confused

edit - on further looking, the round table discussion after the meet the press interview might be more what i'm looking for
Kezza
Gone To The Dogs!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing that came to my mind is "The McLaughlin Group" -- there aren't any questions from the audience, but it is a panel discussion on current affairs.

It's been on for so long that McLaughlin was parodied on "Saturday Night Live" (by actor Dana Carvey, I think) for his gruff demeanor. Laughing

The McLaughlin Group
luke

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks kezza, i'll check it out

i'm surprised there's nothing like question time in america ( at least that i've been able to find )
Twirley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nearest thing to this that I watch is Real Time with Bill Maher. He has three or four guests per show and they debate the issues although Bill being an atheist liberal is not very objective at times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> General TV All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: