WCFN-France -Boeuf Bourguignon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: WCFN-France -Boeuf Bourguignon Reply with quote

I would of been much happier If I was posting an Irish Beef stew Very Happy but so it goes ......I was laffing at a post of Lukes about packet mixes and sauces etc .... trust me Luke i made this Dish many a time back in the day with a packet mix ...we all have to start somewhere ..... anyways this was the best recipe I could find ....I think the person that wrote it had way to much time on there hands .....so i ignored lots of the stages and just got on with it .....It was a simple recipe to follow though and I would suggest That You do what suits You .....as for the Movie !!!! I never watched it ..... here we go Smile

First stage - Prepare the recipe up until it finishes braising for 2 1/2-3 hours in the oven. At that point, I let the pot cool and refrigerate it until the next day.

Second stage - Prepare the mushrooms and pearl onions; allow to cool and refrigerate until the next day.

Third stage - I removed the beef and vegetables from the sauce and allowed the remaining sauce to thicken and reduce. Once reduced, I added back the beef and vegetables to the pot, along with the mushrooms and pearl onions. I let everything heat up and serve.

I found that allowing the dish to cool and chill overnight really allowed the flavors to meld even more, making the dish amazingly rich and flavorful. It's a wonderful thing to enjoy this dish even on a weeknight, especially after taking the time to prepare in stages. As Julia Child would say, "Bon Appetit!"

Boeuf Bourguignon
recipe adapted from Julia Child
serves 6

6 ounces bacon
3 pounds lean stewing beef , cut into 2-inch cubes
1 cup baby carrots
1 sliced large onion
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. flour
3 cups full-bodied, young red wine , such as a Chianti
2 to 3 cups brown beef stock or canned beef bouillon
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
2 cloves mashed garlic
1/2 tsp. thyme
Crumbled bay leaf
18 to 24 small white onions (white pearl onions)
1 pound quartered fresh mushrooms , sautéed in butter
Chopped chives for garnish

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Sauté the bacon in a dutch oven (no oil) over moderate heat for 2 to 3 minutes to brown lightly. (The bacon will render and give off enough fat to cook with.) Remove the bacon from the pot and place in a bowl; set aside.

Dry the stewing beef in paper towels - it will not brown if it is damp. Add the beef, a few pieces at a time, to the dutch oven to cook in the rendered bacon fat. Sauté until nicely browned on all sides. Remove the beef from the pot and add it to the bacon in the bowl; set aside.

If the bacon fat has been absorbed by sauting the beef at this point, feel free to add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. In the pot, brown the carrots and onions.

Return the beef and bacon to the pot and toss with the salt and pepper. Sprinkle on the flour over the meat in the pot and toss everything in the pot to coat the beef lightly with the flour. On the stovetop, heat the pot for about 2-3 minutes to lightly cook off some of the flour.

To the pot, stir in the wine along with the stock or bouillon so that the meat is barely covered. Add the tomato paste, garlic, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to simmer on top of the stove. Then cover the pot and set in lower third of preheated oven. Allow the pot to braise very slowly for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. The meat is done when a fork pierces it easily.

While the beef is cooking, prepare the onions and mushrooms:

For the onions - place the unpeeled white pearl onions in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring the saucepan up to a boil over the stovetop and allow the onions to boil for about 5-10 minutes. Remove the onions from the water and cool. Cut off the ends of each pearl onion and remove the outer layer of skin. Once all pearl onions are peeled, saute the pearl onions in a skillet with 2 tablespoons of butter. Allow the pearl onions to caramelize. Remove from the skillet and set them aside to cool.

For the mushrooms - add 2 tablespoons of butter to the same skillet used to prepare the onions. Saute the mushrooms in the butter until caramelized. Remove from the skillet and set them aside to cool.

After the meat has braised, remove and strain the beef and vegetables from the pot with a slotted spoon and place in a large bowl; set aside. With the remaining sauce left in the pot, allow it to simmer. You should have about 2 1/2 cups of sauce thick enough to coat a spoon lightly. If the sauce is too thin, boil it down rapidly to reduce and thicken. If it's too thick, mix in a few tablespoons of stock or canned bouillon. Taste carefully for seasoning.

At this point, return the beef and vegetables to the thickened sauce, along with the caramelized pearl onions and mushrooms. Gently heat everything over a medium low heat and then serve. Garnish with chopped chives

It was Really Delish .... And I tryed to stay Irish with mash and peas and carrots Smile

ps here is the orig recipe link

http://joelens.blogspot.com/2010/01/boeuf-bourguignon.html
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a lot of work....... but I'm sure it probably tastes great Smile
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
That looks like a lot of work....... but I'm sure it probably tastes great Smile

Thats why I said she looks like she had to much time on her hands Smile I did not do all the stages ie letting stuff cool taking meat out etc etc ..I just did as a normal casserole adding the onions and mushrooms in for the last hour ..... also I added the carrots and 1 large onion sliced ....right at the beginning Smile
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: