WCFN - Germany - Rouladen

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: WCFN - Germany - Rouladen Reply with quote

There are about as many ways to make Rouladen as there are people in Germany. The quantities aren't really important, it's mostly to taste and how many people you want to serve. I like to serve with mashed potatoes and gravy with a bit of tomato paste added to it for extra flavour.

Rouladen
1 lb beef (approx 6 slices, about 6x4"-- smaller or bigger as you like)
6 slices bacon
1 onion, sliced
3 dill pickles, sliced
grainy mustard, to taste
beef broth, about 2 cups (depending on how many rouladen you are making)
corn starch
tomato paste
salt & pepper, to taste
tooth picks or string

Pound beef slices so they are approx. 1/4" thick then season lightly with salt and pepper. Spread with smalll amount of the mustard. Over each beef slice, lay one slice of bacon, one slice of pickle and some onion. Roll slices, tucking in ends.
Secure with toothpick or piece of string. Lightly seal in skillet/deep frying pan then continue to brown the beef on all sides. Cover rouladen with beef broth and bring to a simmer; cover and continue to simmer for approx 1 1/2h. When rouladen are cooked, remove from skillet & remove toothpicks/string if used; add extra water or broth if necessary; add tomato paste then thicken with corn starch as needed to make the gravy.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will honestly say this is my most favorite meal on the planet, but it has to be made by my mom as she makes the best ever. Every year for my birthday she makes me up a batch, with mashed potatoes and red cabbage. I'm one happy birthday girl for sure.
She doesn't use mustard or tomato paste and makes her own broth. Mmmmm...September can't get here soon enough!
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmmmm That sounds Pretty good EEfan thumbs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: