Presto! Pestos!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Presto! Pestos! Reply with quote

Pesto is such a handy "condiment" and is definitely growing in popularity here in the states. Tonight it even turned my hot dog into a "gourmet" meal. However, what actually made it so nice was the fact that I made the pesto myself.
The great thing about pesto is it's versatility and how easy it is to make. I'm posting the recipe I used and am planning on posting some more. Of course, anyone who wants to share there's please do! thumbs

Basil-pistachio pesto
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup shelled pistachios
2 cups loosely packed basil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese

1. To prepare pesto, place garlic in food processor; pulse until chopped. Add pistachios, basil, lemon juice and salt; pulse until nuts are finely chopped.

2. Add olive oil gradually through food chute and process until well combined. Add cheese and pulse 2 or 3 times.

Hints: If you use salted pistachios and want to cut down on the salt you can either skip the salt being added or half the measurement; Pesto freezes great, place in an ice cube tray to take out for individual use later in other recipes, etc.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow -- I've never heard of pistaschio's in pesto but I can see how this would work. Of course, it's all just a migraine to me, but it sounds delish Smile
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Don't make it for sure then!
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is sort of like salsa in that there are so many variations. I love pesto, but eefan, you stay away! <3 <3
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so true Spurs. It's always amazing the different type of salsa's there are.

I did try another pesto recipe recently that used cilantro, lime and walnuts (instead of the usual basil, lemon and pine nuts) It was okay. It was really nice as a shrimp dip but I'm going to try it again without as much olive oil as was recommended by the recipe and then post both.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: