Britain's Best Chippy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Britain's Best Chippy Reply with quote

Reading that made me drool a wee bit...
luke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really fancy fish and chips now!
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm headed out the door with my lovely man to get chips now. Thanks face, thanks a lot. yeh bastard Laughing
luke

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you get proper fish and chip shops in america?

i'm going to get some tonight Smile
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some places you do in some places you don't. We have a great chip shop near us but they don't do fish. I'm not complaining though because the pastrami sandwich on rye I just had it the best!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a tooth out and craving some food to chew...... now I'm dying for some fish and chips but not sure I could chew them just yet Sad
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear that eefan - but fish and chips is pretty easy going if you get a good one. I reckon you could eat it fine with no teeth!
Stones

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, eefan, that is no fun. I am avoiding the dentist at the moment.

I had scampi and chips tonight after seeing this! I don't even like scampi, I just had a massive craving for it and I blame Face. It was so good!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably could chew it on the other side of my mouth, but the antibiotics I'm on have turned me off of most things...... I "think" I want something and then when I actually have it in front of me, I'm like, no way can I eat that.

We have a number of places here that do fish and chips but nothing that's amazingly great. The best we've found so far is a chain restaurant called Kelsey's and they do their fish in a Rickards Red batter, so not too bad.
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not had decent Fish and chips since 1994 Sad There was a great Chippy in Colliers wood ...same side as the tube station a couple of 100 feet down the road .. Maybe Luke knows where I am talking about ..... It was kinda opposite the pub ...I think Greeks owned it ....The Cod and chips was to die for and give me a pickled onion with that .... Smile

I have tried to re create Fish and chips .... but to no avail Sad
luke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish and chips off the menu for the house-proud and skint

House-proud folk won’t cook fish at home because of the lingering smell.

A NutraSea omega3 study shows 50% of us avoid fish for that reason.

Four in ten of those polled said they had no idea how to cook fish, while one in four said they simply don't like the taste of it.

Yesterday Dr Rafe Bundy, who has researched nutritional projects for the British Nutrition Foundation and lectured on the subject at Glasgow University, said: "The findings support existing research that has found UK consumption of fish, especially oily fish that is rich is omega-3 fatty acids, is low.

"In fact it is about one-third of the minimum amount recommended.

"The research suggests the strong smell and taste of fish are two of the main reasons why people are avoiding eating fish, especially oily fish variants."

The study also found 15 per cent of Brits can't bear to touch fish and so find it impossible to prepare, while 12 per cent say it is too expensive to buy.

A third of folk claimed to avoid any type of fish with 'suspicious' or 'unusual' sounding names - which means pollock, gurnard and porgy are off the menu.

Twenty three per cent of people said they avoided cooking fish amid food poisoning fears and 34 per cent worried about the taste repeating on them for hours after.

Over half said they had never eaten kippers, one in five hadn't touched tuna and 13 per cent don't even know what cod tastes like.

Similarly, four in 10 people haven't tried crab, 49 per cent won't eat trout, and 37 per cent have never tried mackerel.

And more than half of those polled say they dislike any type of fish which has a strong flavour - such as anchovies, pilchards, mackerel and sardines.

The poll also also revealed the traditional 'Fish and Chip Friday' has taken a big hit in the past 12 months, with 66 per cent of Brits claiming to have given up buying fish takeaways on a Friday.

A third of people say fish and chip takeaways were one of the first things they gave up since the recession was announced, and 34 per cent say they consciously cut back on takeaways to save money.

from http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/02/03/fish-and-chips-off-the-menu-for-the-house-proud-and-skint-115875-22014366/

i quite often have fish at the weekend for breakfast, mackerel or kippers. i had kippers this morning and you can still smell them in the kitchen - and that was with the extractor fan above the oven and one by the door on! but they taste so nice its worth it Smile
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love kipper snacks, the ones in the tins. I also love stone claw crabs, and eat loads of it during the crab season. Not so big on fish either though. I'll eat talapia, grouper, cod, tuna, occasional shark, and flounder.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
luke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

National Chip Week 2010 from 15th - 21st of February!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: