Ricky Tomlinson

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Ricky Tomlinson Reply with quote

modern

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be cool if he did get in, and juxtaposed with this Labour whippersnapper, he has a good chance.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently read his autobiography and was quite surprised to read that he was closely connected with the National Front in the 70s.
modern

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did he show any penitence for being connected to them in the book? Also did he mention in the book what appeal they had for him?

If it was racist, hopefully that disease has left him far behind now.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he showed some regret, but he was involved for a fair few years.
luke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is surprising, i'd never heard that before, but on googling its even on his wiki page - 'between 1968 and 1972, prior to his involvement with trade union politics, he was a member of the National Front, which he now bitterly regrets and which he puts down to being "politically naive and poorly educated"'

this is from a guardian interview with him;

'In 1968, after deciding that less immigration would mean more jobs, Ricky Tomlinson signed up to the National Front. His left-wing friends were stunned. He went on marches, even registered as a candidate.

It took four whole years for him to realise his folly. As he says in the book: 'I realised that by attacking immigration I was looking for a scapegoat for this country's ills. When you're at the bottom of the greasy pole, mired in shit, you're always looking for someone else to blame.' He then continues: 'I believed certain things in 1968 and I don't believe them any more. I was wrong. I was politically naive and poorly educated.'

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,1055902,00.html
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricky Tomlinson to be awarded the Freedom of Liverpool
Neil Docking
May 18, 2014
liverpoolecho.co.uk

Ricky Tomlinson is to be awarded the Freedom of Liverpool. The 74-year-old Royle Family star is to receive the city’s highest civic honour for his charity and philanthropic work. He said: “I’m pleased as punch. It is one of the most amazing things that has ever happened. There can be no better feeling than being honoured by a place that you love to your bones, and I am literally bursting with pride.”

A former plasterer, Ricky was one of the ‘Shrewsbury 24’ – a group of ‘flying pickets’ who went from site to site to try and convince workers to join the 1972 building workers’ strike. The trade unionist was arrested and jailed for 16 months over the tactics, and has campaigned to have his conviction for 'conspiracy to intimidate' overturned to this day. At the age of 40, he turned his hand to acting and made his name as Bobby Grant in the Liverpool soap opera Brookside.

He then took a starring role as DCI Charlie Wise in the crime drama Cracker and became a household name as Jim Royle in the sitcom The Royle Family. The Liverpool FC fan has starred in several films, notably the cult comedy Mike Bassett: England Manager, and Hillsborough, Jimmy McGovern’s made-for-TV film about the tragedy, in which he portrayed John Glover - the father of victim Ian, 20.

Mayor of Liverpool Joe Anderson said: “I can’t think of many people more deserving than Ricky Tomlinson to receive the Freedom of Liverpool.“As well as entertaining the nation as a versatile and talented actor, he has raised and donated millions of pounds to good causes and campaigned to raise the profile of hugely important issues ranging from Hillsborough to human rights. He embodies the very best attributes of the city – hugely passionate, opinionated and willing to speak up for and defend those who don’t have a voice. Despite his incredible success over many years, he has remained absolutely true to his roots and works every day to improve the lives of others in the city.”

Opposition Leader, Cllr Richard Kemp, said: “Ricky Tomlinson has used his fame to make a real difference to those in need. The Freedom of Liverpool is a deserved honour.” The Lord Mayor of Liverpool, Cllr Gary Millar, added: “The Freedom is the highest honour the city can bestow and Ricky is a very worthy recipient.”

Ricky will receive the Freedom scroll during a special ceremony later this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Comedy News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: