Is depression good for you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Is depression good for you? Reply with quote

That's a surprise, but it makes sense.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a big difference between situational depression and clinical depression that isn't addressed closely in this article but may be in the study.

Everyone at some time or another is going to suffer from situational depression. This should not be treated with medication at all in my opinion. But for clinical depression that is a whole other story.

I would like to read Dr. Keedwell's actual research.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I was wondering about the clinical depression side myself.
Lostinthestates

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
There is a big difference between situational depression and clinical depression that isn't addressed closely in this article but may be in the study.

Everyone at some time or another is going to suffer from situational depression. This should not be treated with medication at all in my opinion. But for clinical depression that is a whole other story.

I am with you on that one Skylace! I think it is a bit naive to say depression is good for you if you take into consideration how many people submit suicide while suffering from (clinical) depression! I think they (BBC or the study) should make a much better distinction here!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lostinthestates wrote:
Skylace wrote:

I am with you on that one Skylace! I think it is a bit naive to say depression is good for you if you take into consideration how many people submit suicide while suffering from (clinical) depression! I think they (BBC or the study) should make a much better distinction here!

You're both right.... they should have made a better distinction between the two because they can be drastically different. Situational depression is often quite good for self-reflection and helps one better address how they might handle a situation in the future, or change their behaviours so something doesn't happen again.

Clinical depression, on the other hand, is entirely different, although I would say that prolonged situational depression could lead to a clinical depression. There are many different factors that can lead to clinical depression, but mostly it's a chemical imbalance. A combination of medications and other treatment options such as therapy, excercise, activity, etc. can be used. I know some people are very anti "medication" when it comes to depression, but I have to say that from everything I've seen and experienced (I've been through depression), quite often people who are depressed don't have the energy to partcipate in their recovery until they've been on medicaton for a few weeks --- then they start feeling more like doing activities, etc.

Another thing to consider is that people don't often experience depression in the same way, so a treatment that works for one person, might very well do nothing for another.
Colston

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an interesting review of his book...

Colston

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and the author's rebuttal...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: