Fage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Fage Reply with quote

I have fallen in love with a new food. In my constant quest of finding foods that are not only healthy for me, versatile in their use, as well as tasty, I stumbled upon Fage (pronounced fa-yah) Greek strained yogurt.

Not being a fan of regular plain yogurt (which has the faint after taste of vomit) I was a bit skeptical. But I figured what they hell and gave it a try. I bought the ones that you can mix with a little bit of fruit or honey (provided with the tasty confection) and feel in love. It doesn’t have the bitter after taste and the consistency is like a wonderful, rich, cream cheese. I can’t wait to use it in some recipes.

You can find out more about Fage at their website

http://www.fageusa.com/index.html#/products/classic/
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Not being a fan of regular plain yogurt (which has the faint after taste of vomit)

And here I was the only one that felt that way! Laughing

This sounds interesting. I've never seen it here though. I'd think you'd have to go with some of the lighter versions as the classic one is 50% fat.

I think it would be good melted in a bit of warm pasta with some fresh herbs...... let us know what things you make with it.
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yogurt also makes me want to puke wow But i do like to cook with it .......The girls in Trader Joes have been raving over this stuff for weeks .....they use it as a milk substitute in the cereals that they sell (yuk) I can't bring myself to do that but it is nice to cook with Smile basicly anything that you would use Greek yogurt for u can use this for .... heres one little recipe ...

Herb Yogurt Chicken

THE STUFF

Marinade:

4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 lemon, juiced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper
2 boneless chicken breasts with skin, rinsed, patted dry
2 cups spinach leaves, washed and dried, optional

Herb-Yogurt-Cucumber Sauce:

1/2 cucumber (about 1/2 cup), peeled and seeded
1 lemon, juiced
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic
1 cup yogurt
Pinch salt
1 tablespoon freshly chopped dill leaves

For the marinade

Directions

In a medium sized bowl, mix together all marinade ingredients.

Add chicken breasts to marinade. Cover and refrigerate. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat grill to high heat.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

When ready, remove chicken from marinade. Place on a grill and cook on high heat for 6 minutes on each side. Remove from grill to a heat-proof pan and place in the oven for 10 minutes, to finish cooking through.

For the herb-yogurt-cucumber sauce:

Dice the cucumber and add to a medium bowl. Stir in the remaining ingredients and combine well. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to use.

Slice chicken into strips and place over a bed of spinach, if desired, on a serving platter. Top with herb-yogurt-cucumber sauce and serve.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG Aja! How do you do it? I've only just come home from eating supper out with family and you've managed to make me hungry already with your recipe. I might just have to give that one a try now that it's getting warmer out and perfect for grilling Smile
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summer Quiche

6 eggs
3/4 cup greek yogurt
1/2 tablespoon basil
1/2 tablespoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 small zucchini, diced
1 small yellow squash, diced
1 small vidalia onion, diced
3 roma tomatoes, diced
1 unbaked 9 in pie shell

Preheat oven to 375F. In large bowl, combine the eggs, yogurt, herbs, black pepper and parmesan cheese. Beat well. Add the onion, squash and tomatoes and stir. Pour the mixture into the pie shell, and bake for 35-45 minutes or until cooked (the quiche should be firm to the touch). Let cool for 10 mins before serving.

I will also remind that asparagus and leeks are both in season and would be a lovely substitute in this quiche.
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good.... I'm not much for squash or asparagus but I think your recipe would allow for many different substitutions. I also think that some feta cheese in it would be quite nice. (can you tell it's almost supper time??? Smile )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: