Please Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RaulRipp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Please Help! Reply with quote

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I can't log onto my PC on my user profile and I haven't got the foggiest why?!!!

When I log in, I enter my password and and after a few seconds the following message appears:
The user profile service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

It then logs me off and restarts. My operating system is Windows Vista.

I'm PC illiterate when it comes to things like this, I've no idea what this means, does anybody have any ideas?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Vista, but I just found this on a forum...

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm new to Vista so I asked my wizz friend and then I managed to solve the problem:
1. I closed down.

2. Turned computer on and immediately pressed F8 repeatedly until I got "Advanced Boot Options".

3. used the down arrow to select "Safe Mode" and pressed enter.

4. computer then opened eventually in the funny look of safe mode, with a "Help" window.

5. In the help window there is an underlined "What is System Restore?" Clicking on that gave me the answer and "Click to open System Restore"

6. I clicked on that and a new window came up recommending restoring to a previous state before windows update which I had done before the fault occurred.

7. I clicked OK and after a bit of whirring all came up OK. Can you imagine how pleased I felt?

hope that helps
RaulRipp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one face, you're a gem. I'll let you know how I get on.
RaulRipp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bollocks! Still the same message...starting to get worried now!!!! crazed
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what I did in the first place was copy that error message into google - there were plenty of hits. click HERE and you can check for other possibilities.

Do you remember changing anything before this happened? Or did the computer crash?

I do have another less-than-perfect method if none of the ones on google work, but it would take some writing and it's pretty late...
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a relatively new computer? (Assuming so if you have Vista installed.)

When I have strange errors like this, I like to run some diagnostics to eliminate (hopefully) hardware as the cause. Memtest86 (to test memory) and SpinRite (to check the health of the HD and filesystem). SpinRite will also fix any filesystem errors, which might eliminate the error altogether.

If you don't have time to trouble-shoot, you could always create a new profile, login as the adminstrator and copy/move your files from the old profile to the new one... (I would focus on the c:\Documents & Settings\(old userid)\Application Data, Desktop, Favorites, Local Settings, Start Menu and Templates folders.)

ps. I'm not sure how different Vista is from WinXP. In XP, you can login to the Administrator account by hitting CTRL-ALT-DELETE at the Login screen.
RaulRipp

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The problem started occurring as soon as the latest Windows update was installed. I thought it would be solved by launching system restore, but nothing changed which is most annoying. PC is relatively new and came with Vista, which is a big pile of shite if you ask me. All mouth and no trousers. I'll give those a try and if I don't get the results I need I'm gonna throw it at the wall!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: