Carrot Casserole

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Carrot Casserole Reply with quote

This was a recipe given to me by my sister-in-law. She served it at Easter with pork roast and ham. It was a nice change from the typical green bean casserole or mashed potatoes. Bear in mind, this isn't a "pretty" looking dish, but it's very tasty and lends itself well to any adaptions that you want to make.

**Due to a lactose intolerance, my s-i-l made it with goats milk and rice milk cheddar, but I have to say, you wouldn't have known it. I made it with regular milk products and it's also tasty.

Carrot Casserole

2 lbs carrots
2 eggs
1 c milk
1 c cracker crumbs (can use bread crumbs)
3/4 c grated cheddar cheese (mozarella also nice)
1/4-1/2c softened butter or margarine
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
salt to taste
pinch of cayenne pepper (can substitue curry power)

1. Peel and chop the carrots; place in large pot of boiling water and boil until soft; drain water and mash or put through potato ricer. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs and seasonings. Add butter, cheese and cracker cumbs; stir well.

3. Add in mashed carrot mixture and stir until well combined. Turn into a well greased casserole dish and bake @ 325C for approx. 50-60 minutes.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds very tasty eefan! Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
11antoniacourt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EE I am going to try this, it sounds yummy. I'm curious about the combination of the sweet carrots and the cheese. I have a recipe that's similar but on the "sweeter" side. I'm going to try your sis-in-law's recipe this weekend. Thanks for making this available to us.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does sound nice indeed - and pretty simple to make too... I'll give it a go
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have made something like this with sweet potato's.....at xmas .....But for the life of me i can't remember exactly .....what was in it ... duh !!

It sounds nice eefan Smile

as an afterthought i remember there was cream cheese in mine ..... ???? i will have to search out that one for u eefan ....its somewhere on a piece of paper lol also i remember it tasting nicer than it looked ......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: