Another Apple Cake
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Another Apple Cake Reply with quote

This recipe has been used by my mom for years. We just made it again recently and I thought I'd post it. It's tasty for sure!

eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great Sky --- especially at this time of year with all the apples available. Do you use any particular kind of apple or will any kind do?
Aja
Reggae Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this country I always use granny smiths ..... In the uk was cooking apples nice and Tart Smile

Nice recipe Sky .....Smile
luke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bramleys Smile

how much is a cup? i see a lot of american recipes use that ...
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Golden Delicious Apples for the recipe and there are 8 oz in 1 cup Smile
luke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks skylace, i might try this at the weekend - thats one of the things i miss about living at home, home cooked cakes mmm Smile it sounds like a lot of sugar though! and oil - that would be 12oz of oil! although to be fair, i don't know how much an oz of sugar actually is ... but i suppose its the bad things that make it so good wink
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was shocked at the amount of oil too, but Luke, knowing of your liking for the occasional smoke I'm even more surprised you don't know how much an ounce is! It's 28g.
luke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, i usually go by the kilo wink

i meant i couldn't really visualise how much 8oz of sugar look like, i've just weighed it out though and its a whole sugar bowl full! its a lot sugar really for a cake that would probably get eaten in an evening ... you know the munchies wink
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another cake recipe with three cups of sugar Razz However, in a lot of cake recipes you use 2 cups of sugar. You can substitute Splenda if you want to.
The oil there is to make the cake moist. Since it has apples and nuts in it, which don't have much in the way of natural fats, the cake would be dry without the oil in there.
Many other cake recipes require 2 sticks of butter or quite a bit of shortening.
luke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've never really made cakes ( except at school - banana crunch cake, great as i remember! ) so didn't really know how much stuff like that went in, i'm still going to be trying this at the weekend though ... i'll just have to try and not eat it all in one night Laughing Embarassed
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luke wrote:
i've never really made cakes ( except at school - banana crunch cake, great as i remember! ) so didn't really know how much stuff like that went in, i'm still going to be trying this at the weekend though ... i'll just have to try and not eat it all in one night Laughing Embarassed

If you can I will be impressed! There are three of us here in the house and we have still had it for three days! Surprised
Lostinthestates

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
luke wrote:

If you can I will be impressed! There are three of us here in the house and we have still had it for three days! Surprised

I am pretty sure I could finish it off! So I better give your recipe a miss skylace, even though it does sound quite lush Smile
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lostinthestates wrote:
Skylace wrote:
luke wrote:

I am pretty sure I could finish it off! So I better give your recipe a miss skylace, even though it does sound quite lush Smile

If you ever have an office party you can be sure to come up top trumps with this one!

I have to dig out the bundt cake recipe I have with chocolate chips! agree
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cake! Screw the sugar and fat content.... if you're going to eat it, eat it! Just don't bake one everyday Laughing

All this talk of cake..... now I want some Smile
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so true eefan. It is a cake! And once in a while isn't going to kill you! You can also make the slices smaller and enjoy it longer! cake
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: