interactive map

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: interactive map Reply with quote

hi i am looking for some way to build a map an interactive one where you could click on a selected point and open up a page , im almost certain there would not be a map of the area so i would need to make it , any idea's?
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you describes sounds like Flash to me. You could do it with plain html and define text areas (I think they're called). http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/ is the place to look for the HTML spec.

Or if you're talking an actual "Map" map, then I would check out the Google Map API's. You might save yourself buckets of time.

It really depends on what exactly you have in mind and how flashy you want it to be.
luke

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like major says depends on what you want, if its a map of a small area, you might even be able to get away with an imagemap on an img tag for a picture so that when you click certain bits it'll open the window with the corresponding info, or flash

thats pretty cool you can get a google earth api!

i worked on a program years ago, kinda like autoroute, but this was for working out where road gritters should go to do it in the most efficient way - it was based on ordinance survey data ( oscar i think it was called ) and my part of the program just drew the map, like connecting the dots Smile some clever guy then did all the maths part and then i plotted the route on the map, where to refill, turn around etc

so plenty of ways to do it, just depends on what you want really
alan1254
King of the Marshes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am looking for a map of the outskirts of Pattaya city Thailand that i can insert links into that can be clicked on and take you to another page like luke is describing, google have a new system google map that you can do that with but the map they have of the area is basic and everything is in Thai I want to sell advertising to companys that are not in 'the city', the tourist areas, but i feel it must be map based to work , so if i cant get hold of a map i need to make one obviosly using an already made up map would be easiest
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: