George's talkSPORT show from Saturday 20 January
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popinjay wrote:
How about an official GG forum on his site?

If you've read some of the other threads, Meta4 has been having a nightmare with hosting and I'm sure a forum isn't his first order of business (not speaking for him of course). Getting a site that runs solid is probably the most important I'd think......and what's wrong with this forum? Not to sound like a bitch but I think a lot of you are lucky faceless has given so much of his time for Galloway fans to get files and have a place to chat. Asking for a forum IN his forum is a bit of a slap don't you think?
popinjay

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
Popinjay wrote:
How about an official GG forum on his site?

If you've read some of the other threads, Meta4 has been having a nightmare with hosting and I'm sure a forum isn't his first order of business (not speaking for him of course). Getting a site that runs solid is probably the most important I'd think......

He answered me already.

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
and what's wrong with this forum? Not to sound like a bitch but I think a lot of you are lucky faceless has given so much of his time for Galloway fans to get files and have a place to chat. Asking for a forum IN his forum is a bit of a slap don't you think?

Including this board, I'm regularly active in at least three forums. If we were talking about being an exclusive member of one, then it could be seen as a slap, but we're not, so what you said makes no sense.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know he answered you but I felt like adding my bit ...as I did, and it makes perfect sense to me.
Meta4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it's a good point. One of the reasons I was reticent about starting to post here is, people should be able to discuss what they think of what George does without worrying about whether George likes what he hears or not (I'm not here to spy, I'm sure that's obvious - I act out my Stalinist fantasies at Lenin's Tomb ;) )

So in lots of ways, if people want to get together to discuss issues raised by the site, it may be better to do it off the site.

And you're right - in terms of priorities, I want much more video/audio and much more engagement - the Q&A section, if we ever get time to answer the hundreds of questions that have come in in a few weeks, are more important. I actually think a forum on GG's site might end up being really self-indulgent - people will be expecting George to respond a lot, and it's all he can do to just about keep up with the emails he gets already. Since I re-did the site, we've doubled the traffic, and pretty much doubled the emails coming in - the more avenues we offer, the more demands are made. Fantastic as it is, the man already works way more hours than is good for him.

That, and building a decent links section. And including contributions from other people (we've got a photo section opening soon. Soon.... "soon"...)

We do need more decent political forums on the net. The biggest problem people have is the result of a conscious decision by the ruling class: Atomisation and the breakdown of solidarity and unity. That has a direct effect where people no longer have the bonds within their community to become politically active; it means they see George as a lone crusader, where actually he sees himself purely as an enabler; a voice to make other people get up and do stuff. But we get a huge, massive number of emails with people just wanting to ask George the hows, wheres and whys of the world. People feel they've got nowhere to go to have these discussions.

More places, online and offline, like that, and we'd be doing well. When there are decent stop the war meetings, the political level is really high; online forums can give people access to that kind of politics - if only the forums are moderated well enough to keep away the racists, the pro-war left (who exist to destroy the left) and others whose only goal is to prevent proper discussion.

So, I've got flu which means I'm rambling incoherently. I hope Google doesn't index this...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meta4 wrote:
Actually, it's a good point. One of the reasons I was reticent about starting to post here is, people should be able to discuss what they think of what George does without worrying about whether George likes what he hears or not (I'm not here to spy, I'm sure that's obvious - I act out my Stalinist fantasies at Lenin's Tomb ;) )

So in lots of ways, if people want to get together to discuss issues raised by the site, it may be better to do it off the site.

That was definitely a point in me making this section. If it's all just simple following, rather than questionning support then we do the whole idea of Respect a dis-service.

Moderation can be a bollocks though - I've had some fair amount of crap from a few people in the last week, but the doors are always open to those who are willing to show they're genuine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: