Beckham to become a "Sir"?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Beckham to become a "Sir"? Reply with quote

22 October 2006

David Beckham may be returning to Buckingham Palace soon for a knighthood. The footballing star received an OBE in 2003 and is tipped to become a Sir in the 2007 New Year Honours following his work for the London Olympic bid. Whispers in Whitehall have also suggested the move could be motivated by Tony Blair's anxiety to be seen as a populist Prime Minister.

If the former England captain is knighted, his wife would transform from Posh Spice to Lady Beckham - a name in keeping with their country residence nicknamed 'Beckingham Palace.' The title would see Beckham launched into the company of English footballing greats including Sir Geoff Hurst and Sir Bobby Moore.

A source at Westminster told the Daily Express: "Beckham has become an enduring icon of this generation. New Labour's spin doctors know this and are keen to reward him for his endeavours. Beckham, who is trying to regain his place in the England football team, was a central figure in the London Olympic bid. He has also performed a great deal of work for charity and is often seen chaperoning 11-year-old Kirsty Howard who suffers from a terminal heart defect.

-------------

There's no doubt at all that he has done a lot for England, but this award is meant to be for services to the whole of Great Britain, and I can't think of a single thing that he's done for Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, apart from maybe inspire young men to copy his haircuts!

And the thought of Victoria Beckham officially being a "Lady" turns my stomach.

boxing
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should go in a scary story section for Halloween! wow
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veryshy I like Becks.

It makes no difference anyway. What in hell does Knighthood really mean to anyone other than the one that has the title?

It basically means they bowed infront of some old rotting skinbag that thinks she's important, and by having the title they feel they are too....but they're not really.
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Rotting skinbag".......I love it!!!! Classic Irish quote....LOL!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Griffo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beckham a sir.

Oh dear...why?!

He's done nothing. People shouldn't get that status for being a good footballer.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's for just being a good footballer. He's given a lot of money to charities and has a foundation that helps needy children as well.

They've supplied wheelchairs and loads of other things to children that can't walk, given money to supply medication for children with illness that parents can't afford.....the list goes on.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked around for details of his charity work but can only find a couple of mentions of it - no actual links.

I remember the big party thing that he had either earlier this year or late last and remember then being scornful of it because of the amount of money spent on people just going to the thing was probably far more than any amount raised and it was basically just a big party for star-struck wankers and a-list tosspots. That's not to say that the money's worthless, but I bet the percentage that the average charity concerned person gives away of their total income is far greater than Beckham's and none of them get, not one, but two national awards for their troubles (not that they would want them as they do it from the heart of course).

The fact remains that he has no impact on anyone other than the English of course, so why should he get an award from the British establishment? I can't think of a single Scottish footballer who has been made a Lord (and there have been plenty of his level such as Kenny Daglish and Denis Law).
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
I've looked around for details of his charity work but can only find a couple of mentions of it - no actual links.

I remember the big party thing that he had either earlier this year or late last and remember then being scornful of it because of the amount of money spent on people just going to the thing was probably far more than any amount raised and it was basically just a big party for star-struck wankers and a-list tosspots. That's not to say that the money's worthless, but I bet the percentage that the average charity concerned person gives away of their total income is far greater than Beckham's and none of them get, not one, but two national awards for their troubles (not that they would want them as they do it from the heart of course).

The fact remains that he has no impact on anyone other than the English of course, so why should he get an award from the British establishment? I can't think of a single Scottish footballer who has been made a Lord (and there have been plenty of his level such as Kenny Daglish and Denis Law).

The party you're talking about was before World Cup. Earlier that day they had a massive party for under privileged children, and children with diseases.

A lot of these children can thank the Beckhams for receiving the proper medications they need to make their lives livable, and if they didn't provide the wheelchair for the one wee girl there, she'd never be able to get round or do much of anything.

She wanted so badly to dance, and they paid for her to have special braces fit made so she could.

They do these things because they know they're lucky to be in the situation they're in, and don't ask for anything back or any recognition for their good deeds. I admire them for it and I know there are a lot of Beckham haters out there, but anyone that betters the lives of children can't be all that bad.

.....and just to add to this, I'm in no way saying him or anyone else is worthy of Knighthood or anything of the sort. To me that's a meaningless pack of shite and like being given a title instead of a pay raise in the real world, but if a person does things that helps others, I'll be the first to stand up for them, and in this case it's not merely for his football talents. I'm sure it's everything combined.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOH, I'D LOVE TO BE LADY B
By Fiona Cummins, Showbiz Reporter

SHE'S always been Posh. But David Beckham's missus giggled yesterday at suggestions that she might soon be dubbed LADY Victoria. "Ooh I'd love that," she cooed. "Can you imagine? That would be quite fabulous." Victoria, 32, was commenting on reports that ex-England skipper David is set to be knighted for his services to football. She told Jo Whiley on Radio 1 that she hoped the rumours were true - and admitted she really fancied the idea of having a title. "It's just so camp it's wonderful, isn't it - Lady Victoria. Something like that goes in the paper and you think, 'That would be quite amazing'."

She added: "I think David's done a lot for charity, he was heavily involved with the Olympic bid and he's given a lot to his country with the football too, and I think he deserves it - but we'll see." Later Posh was greeted by massive crowds at a book-signing in London. The former Spice Girl smashed all records at Selfridges by selling out of her debut style guide, That Extra Half an Inch within hours. Extra copies had to be hastily ordered in as up to 3,000 fans clamoured for her signature. Some had been queuing outside Selfridges in Oxford Street from 6.15am. The store even stayed open later than normal to give everyone a chance to meet her. A spokesman said: "This is completely unprecedented. The public response has been unbelievable and demand for the book is huge. We're over the moon."

Victoria wowed fans in a ?2,500 belted black Giambattista Valli dress and ?250 shoes by Yves Saint-Laurent. "She looks fantastic," said 21-year-old Aaron Husser, 21, who had travelled from Manchester to see her and queued from 10.30am.

----------------

To call an honour like that camp is probably not going to win her many fans in the offices where they decide who's important... still, they're probably old Etonians who decided 99% of them, so who knows!

As far as her getting public support goes, oh how times have changed - I remember about 3-4 years ago she was in Glasgow for some appearance and was gutted when only 3 people turned up to see her. I got quite a laugh from that as she was on some chat show the night before saying how great it was to be popular in her own right... still, she has that now I suppose, despite my incantations and voodoo!
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:

OOOH, I'D LOVE TO BE LADY B
By Fiona Cummins, Showbiz Reporter

despite my incantations and voodoo!

Laughing that's mad funny

I've never thought anything of her at all really, and having the title of 'Lady' doesn't necessarily make you one Razz (catclaws back in now)

She's more fame out of being Mrs Beckham than she has being a Spice Girl I think.....or is it more recognition? Either way, if she didn't marry him she'd been long forgotten like the others by now I'd think.
Griffo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IRiSHMaFIA wrote:
Either way, if she didn't marry him she'd been long forgotten like the others by now I'd think.

Deffo. But, everything aside..i'd still hit it. agree
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posh and Becks Cained by Sir

SIR MICHAEL CAINE is horrified by reports DAVID BECKHAM may be awarded a knighthood, and insists the football star is too young.

The 73-year-old cockney star, who received his own knighthood in 2000, is disgusted that the midfielder could be awarded the prestigious honour before his 32nd birthday.

He told me: "I?ve been Sir Michael for about 5 or 6 years now.

"He seems a bit young to me, I wasn?t a Sir until I was 66!"

The BATMAN BEGINS star insists it is unfair that David is being considered for a knighthood at a younger age than former BOND stars SEAN CONNERY and ROGER MOORE.

He added: "Sean was 68 when he got his. Roger was 75. How old is David? - About 30? He could at least wait until he was 33 or 34. Get a bit mature."

And Sir Michael was less than impressed about POSH's desires to become a lady.

He snorted: "She just goes along for the ride."

It doesn't have to do with age but accomplishment, but as i said before, who cares about knighthood as it's all a sham anyway and means nothing to anyone other than star struck arseholes that put these people up on a pedestal as something better than themselves.

I don't get why any of them got it if I'm honest. Being an actor merits being called Sir so and so? Give me a break! That's exactly why the whole thing's a sham.

.....and Sean Connery sucks big ones in every way I can think of, the phony old prick! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: