Remembrance Sunday

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Remembrance Sunday Reply with quote

Celtic vow to take action
Hoops plan to act following anti-poppy controversy
8th November 2010
Sky News

Celtic have vowed to ban the supporters responsible for wielding a giant anti-poppy banner during the clash with Aberdeen on Saturday. The Hoops' 9-0 demolition of the Dons at Celtic Park attracted unwanted controversy after fans among a section of supporters called The Green Brigade unfurled a banner during half-time which read: "Your deeds would shame all the devils in Hell. Ireland, Iraq, Afghanistan. No bloodstained poppy on our Hoops."

The club have reiterated their apologies for the banner and have promised to punish those responsible. "The club is currently carrying out an investigation into this matter. When it is concluded, it is the club's intention to ban those identified as responsible from Celtic Park," read a statement on the club's official website. Celtic fans have rightly earned a magnificent reputation for their positive behaviour and backing of the club. It is extremely disappointing that the actions of a small minority have embarrassed Celtic and tarnished the club in this way. These actions have no place at Celtic Park and, clearly, we apologise for any offence caused."

------------------

Remembrance Sunday is to raise money for the hired thugs who are paid to cause death and carnage for the government - and we're supposed to sit down and say nothing about their crimes? Not even just say nothing, in fact, but to fucking venerate them as HEROES? Bollocks to that. I support their millions of unnamed, uncounted, unconsidered victims.

I'm sure that many will be thinking something like 'well what about WWII?' - but that's the exception which proves the rule. Britain hasn't been involved in a justifiable war before or since.
major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curiously, there has been a bit of a kerfuffle in PEI re: a group distributing (apparently free of charge) the white "peace" poppies. (link)

As I understood it, the group was even being sued by the Royal Canadian Legion for some sort of trademark infringement, which bolsters your position that it is (apparently) at as much about $ as being offended at the mere thought that citizens would be bold enough to exercise their rights to free speech. It's amazing to me that so many would characterize the promotion of peace as an insult to those who fought and died in past wars.

When did "lest we forget" become a dirty phrase?

ps. Here's the article which mentions (possible) legal action: link #2. "It [the legion] owns the trademark to both the poppy's colour and configuration." Gotta protect those profits!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a report from 'The Green Brigade', the group which put the banners up in the picture above.

===

At half-time during today’s match against Aberdeen we displayed message banners calling for ‘No bloodstained poppys on our hoops’ in protest at the Club’s decision to once again wear the poppy on our shirts during next week’s game at St Mirren (a match our group will not attend because of this decision). This is in support of an appeal by Poppyscotland to all SPL clubs. Poppyscotland describes its role as ‘supporting heroes’ and state that ‘the poppy has become a symbol of remembrance and for the sacrifices made by our Armed Forces’.

Our group and many within the Celtic support do not recognise the British Armed Forces as heroes, nor their role in many conflicts as one worthy of our remembrance. Earlier this year, the Saville Report on Bloody Sunday confirmed that 14 unarmed civilians were murdered in Derry in 1972 by the Paratroop Regiment. They were among hundreds killed by the British Army during the most recent phase of conflict in Ireland. More recently, the British Armed Forces have murdered and maimed many thousands more innocent civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan. The poppy remembers not just our grandfathers who fought the Nazis but also those who bombed the Belgrano and brutally occupied the streets of Belfast and Basra. While we recognise the right of individuals to remember their dead and that many within the Celtic support will wear the poppy in memory of family and friends lost in WW2 and other conflicts, we cannot accept the imposition of the poppy onto our shirts.

As far back as April, representatives from the Green Brigade, Celtic Supporters Association and Celtic Trust met with Peter Lawwell to express our united opposition to the Club imposing the poppy on the first team jersey. We also know that the AICSC and many other individual supporters had called on the Club to reverse their position of previous years and take the poppy off the shirt. Following our meeting in April, the Club were contacted on several occasions for further dialogue on the issue but informed us that they were still considering their position and would get back to us. The first any group knew of the decision was after it had been made, and publicly announced.

We share the views of the AICSC whose recent statement on the poppy stated that ‘to see the jersey being used as a medium for such a divisive symbol and the message it communicates is deplorable’, and that it showed a complete lack of respect for the support, further highlighted by repeated declarations on the official website of Celtic’s delight to be wearing the poppy and supporting Poppyscotland. It appears rather than leave his politics at the door, chairman John Reid, the former Armed Forces Minister and Secretary of State for Northern Ireland and Defence, has forced his onto the first team jersey.

As you may have noticed at today's game, we mistakenly missed out the 'D' in 'bloodstained'. This happened in the rush to finish two displays for today's game (with our 'Show the SFA the red card' action before the match the other). The real mistake, however, is the Club forcing the poppy onto our shirt
Colston

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Remembrance Sunday Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
'well what about WWII?' - but that's the exception which proves the rule. Britain hasn't been involved in a justifiable war before or since.

Couldn't agree more....
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great article.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

November 11, 2010
From a Veteran on Veterans Day
Posted by Lew Rockwell on November 11, 2010 10:02 AM

From Dan Gillings:

I’m an Iraq veteran. I served with the British Army in 2003, but I currently reside in the US. This ‘Veterans Day’ crap irks me. Why do I want to be thanked? Is it because I helped kill poor brown people in a foreign land for reasons nobody quite understands? Or is it because we got rid of a ‘despotic’ leader only to install a puppet of the American Government? Or is it for being a pawn of the Anglo-American empire that has helped to erode civil liberties in the western world through fear-based propaganda peddled by governments?

Today is always a fun day though. I get to wear my Ron Paul ‘just come home’ t-shirt. I like to get into conversations with people. Neo-cons are always the best. They literally short-circuit when a veteran opposes the war based on moral and ethical reasons. Some even call me a traitor. I take that as a compliment. If being a traitor means I don’t have to kill innocent people in a far-away world, then I’m okay with that.

I think we should have a ‘Collateral Damage Day.’ We can all remember the innocent people who were killed by Anglo-American troops for nothing more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I imagine neo-cons would again call me a traitor though…
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many more there are like this guy.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'our boys, the heroes who protect us'

(HD version added)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: