Galloway blocked from entering Canada?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for recording it face, i didn't realise they were streaming it live.

do i need some special codec or something, as i'm not getting any sound - even with vlc player?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strange, it's working for me - have you got the latest vlc?
luke

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just updated it and its working fine now, thanks Smile
luke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again for that, he was certainly on form!

i didn't know that einstein was asked to be the first president of israel but said no. galloway says he said 'i could never be the president of a country whose future happiness is built upon the everlasting misery of the peoples whose land it was' but i can't find that quote - does anyone know the exact quote?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a quick look, but couldn't find that quote Luke...

Anyway, here's the court report from last week that set the ball rolling...

major.tom
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
well that was excellent - it'll be available for download in the archive section soon

Thank-you for posting. It was a great speech. I confess that when I heard him announce on CTV news (I believe) that he would be suing the gov't, as a Canadian, there was a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. However, my mood changed when (in this video) GG announced he would use any proceeds to fund a massive anti-war movement in Canada. This demonstrates not only a fighting spirit, but the acumen to maximize his victories.

On a slight tangent, back when he was a MLA in Alberta, Stockwell Day (a member of the current Federal Con gov't) called a lawyer who defended someone accused of molestation of being as repugnant as his client. He was successfully sued by the lawyer in question and the gov't of Alberta paid the tab, arguing he was acting in his official capacity when he slandered the lawyer. So it seems the Cons have a history of shooting off their mouths and leaving taxpayers to pay the price.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galloway sues over 'terror' claim
(UKPA) – 2 hours ago

Scottish Parliamentary candidate George Galloway is to sue the Canadian government for damaging his reputation, his spokesman has said.

Mr Galloway, who is standing for election to Holyrood as the lead candidate of the George Galloway Coalition Against Cuts claims he suffered "injury and damage to his reputation" when he was banned from Canada in March 2009. He is claiming 1.5 million dollars (£958,000) for allegations of defamation, misfeasance of public office and claims general and exemplary damages, a spokesman said.

The statement of claim was served on immigration and nationalities minister Jason Kenney and his assistant Alykhan Velshi. It is understood the claim centres on allegations Mr Kenney and Mr Velshi made about Mr Galloway being a member of a terrorist organisation and a threat to Canadian national security.

Mr Galloway later won his case against the ban in court, the decision was overturned and he enjoyed a speaking tour of 11 cities.

---------------------

There doesn't seem to be any news in this, but maybe that's the ball actually moving now.
major.tom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was also reported on the two most prominent Canadian news sites: CTV and CBC.

Both articles are attributed to "Canadian Press" rather than their own news desks, suggesting that it is a "canned" news piece. (Many articles are also attributed to the Associated Press, so this must be another secret source.)
major.tom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A brief GG interview on the Canadian lawsuit:

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheney should be barred from Canada over torture record: NDP
Former US VP to promote controversial autobiography
Renee Bernard/John Ackermann
Sep 25, 2011
news1130.com

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - The NDP's immigration critic is adding his voice to a chorus of people demanding that former US Vice President Dick Cheney be barred from entering our country.

Cheney is due to visit Vancouver Monday to promote his new book, "In My Time: A Personal and Political Memoir." In the book Cheney defends the use of waterboarding and other interrogation techniques widely considered torture. He defends the use of waterboarding and sleep deprivation, saying they are not torture since the tactics were first tested on Americans. But many say he should be criminally charged for his use of the controversial techniques.

The NDP's Don Davies says if Canada can ban people who support terrorist groups, it should treat Cheney the same way. "The government also kept out George Galloway, a previous British member of parliament, and I would be disappointed if our government is selectively applying the laws against people they like or don't like," Davies tells News1130. Galloway encouraged funding for Hamas, a Palestinian group considered a terrorist organization by Israel, the US and the European Union. "I'm just asking the government to be consistent," says Davies. "If we're going to have a policy of keeping war criminals out of Canada, or people who have committed war crimes, then we should apply that consistently."

George W. Bush himself will also visiting the Lower Mainland next month to attend an economic summit in Surrey.
major.tom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ottawa’s obsession with keeping George Galloway out of Canada
Thomas Walkom
thestar.com
October 17, 2012

One thing about Stephen Harper’s Conservatives: They never give up. Two years ago, the government was chastised by a federal court judge after it tried to bar a pro-Palestinian British MP from entering Canada. Now it wants to change the law to ensure this never happens again.

In his 2010 ruling, Justice Richard Mosley wrote that Ottawa provided no legal reason for keeping George Galloway out of Canada. He concluded that Immigration Minister Jason Kenney’s decision to bar Galloway from giving a speech here had “more to do with antipathy to his (Galloway’s) political views” than anything substantive. Now Kenney has come up with an amendment to the immigration act that would give Ottawa carte blanche to exclude any foreigner whose views the Conservative government doesn’t like.

The proposed amendment is phrased in a way that would let the government keep out any foreigner if it is “of the opinion” that doing so is “justified by public policy considerations.” It’s hard to get any broader than that.

Talking to reporters this week, Kenney talked of the new gag order in the context of American Islamophobic preacher Terry Jones. Jones had been scheduled to speak in Toronto last week but, at the last minute, was barred by border authorities for reasons having to do with his criminal record in the U.S. Kenney’s point, if I understand him correctly, is that if border officials hadn’t been able to find a criminal technicality they would have had no legal reason to bar Jones. Hence, he says, the need for new, extraordinary ministerial authority.

There are two points of contention here. The first is whether Canadians want their government to keep out foreigners just because it finds their speech offensive. If so, the second question is how best to accomplish this aim. Jones is a convenient target because he’s a yahoo whose well-publicized Koran-burnings led to anti-Western riots in the Muslim world.

I’m inclined to lean in the direction of free speech in most cases, following federal court Justice Mosley’s dictum that to exclude foreign speakers circumscribes the constitutional right of Canadians to hear different views. But for those who are less libertarian in their views, existing law already allows the government to bar from Canada those whose words might cause angry Afghan mobs to attack Canadian troops — notably Section 34 of the immigration act, which gives Ottawa broad authority to keep out foreigners deemed a danger to national security.

Or, if that isn’t sufficient, the government could tweak the law to let it bar foreigners whose actions outside the country would, if committed in Canada, constitute hate speech. That would have kept out Jones.

But I reckon the real reason for this amendment is not Jones at all but Galloway, an engaging — if sometimes infuriating — rapscallion who quit the British Labour Party to found his own and who has long been an ardent supporter of Palestinian rights.

Kenney first tried to bar Galloway for organizing a relief convoy to Gaza, claiming that this constituted support to terrorism. As Mosley noted in his 2010 ruling, that claim wasn’t remotely credible. A few days after the judgment was handed down, Galloway entered Canada and, as Conservatives gnashed their teeth, went on a triumphant 11-city speaking tour. Riots did not break out.

The proposed amendment — think of it as the Galloway amendment — would ensure that this never happens again. Kenney says he wants to consult widely before going ahead. But if he were serious, he would abandon this overly broad approach completely and seek much more circumscribed power instead. That he is not doing so says volumes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: