Finally upgraded to Windows 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Finally upgraded to Windows 7 Reply with quote

After years of ignoring it, I've finally got round to upgrading to Windows 7 from XP64. I installed it as a dual-boot in case things didn't work, but everything has worked well. Very well in fact... the program I use to convert mpgs to mp4s is now working about 2x as fast and the uploads to peeje have speeded up by about 70% too. I've also been able to get most programs that were previously installed working without having to reinstall them.

So much success is unheard of for me on such matters, so I'm expecting some disaster to rear up any minute now...

But the improved speed in converting and uploading stuff will make a fair difference.
SquareEyes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you're enjoying the upgrade. I jumped from XP to Windows 7 too. Win 7 is a great OS and has been incredibly fast & stable for me. Not one problem in >18 months.

I'd recommend checking out tweakguides.com and working through the tweaking companion for Win 7, to get things really tightened-up and running as fast as possible (unnecessary services etc.). Also be careful with settings in things like CCleaner now, as Win 7 doesn't need as many things flushing as XP and it might even cause problems to do so. Finally, take his advice about avoiding registry cleaning, as Win 7 is pretty good at sorting itself out.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to know about the registry, cheers.
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in time for Win8 to come along lol
luke

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm the next day or so i too will be finally upgrading to windows 7

which is the best version?!

Windows 7 Starter 32-bit
Windows 7 Home Basic 32/64-bit
Windows 7 Home Premium 32/64-bit
Windows 7 Professional 32/64-bit
Windows 7 Enterprise 32/64-bit
Windows 7 Ultimate 32/64-bit

i'm going with a 64 bit version because as i understand it then you can use more than 3/3.5gb of memory, but other than that i don't know which one to go for!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the 64bit Enterprise version and that's working great. As soon as you've got it working, you'll be wondering why you took so long...

suddenly programs that are designed to use the extra cores in the processor come alive, and you'll be shouting at the ones which don't!
luke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, 64 enterprise it'll be Smile

i'm using a neighbors computer at the moment, and i think i've worked out why their machine is so slow - its a fairly new compaq with 64bit windows 7 - but with 2gb of ram!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Tech news, tips and help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: