Earthquake in Italy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Earthquake in Italy Reply with quote

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read somewhere that a scientist who had been warning of the imminence of this earthquake was arrested and charged with creating panic...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to drive down there every couple of weeks a while ago on the way to Florence ...
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, for me, having the ground shake under my feet would be second only to a fire as the scariest thing that could happen. Where do you go? I will stick with my hurricanes, thanks.
SquareEyes

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earthquakes are quite common in Italy. School children in Italy have earthquake-drills as well as fire drills. It mostly involves getting under your desk, which is a bit like an ostrich putting its head in the sand!

Between 2002 & 2010 I lived in Verona (about 50 km north of Modena and about half-way between Milan & Venice). This latest quake was felt in Verona too. While I was living there, there were a few minor earthquakes, but they happened at night & I slept through them - didn't notice a thing! They were nowhere near as strong as this one, but I had colleagues whose furniture moved about a little & pictures fell off walls etc.

I've been to most of the major towns & cities in northern Italy, including Modena. Anyone who likes balsamic vinegar should know it's what Modena is most famous for. As a city itself, it's not as nice as a lot of others in the area, but it's still a shame to see it ripped apart.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earthquake in Bulgaria
22nd May 2012
novinite.com

An earthquake with a 5.8 magnitude on the Richter scale has rattled Bulgaria and the capital Sofia. According to preliminary data, the epicenter of the earthquake was between Sofia and Pernik, some 9 km north of the latter.

The earthquake has been felt all over Bulgaria, there are no initial reports of damages, casualties, or injuries but it has led the entire population of Sofia to exit their homes, spending the night in the streets. The earthquake has also been felt in Bulgaria's western neighbors - Serbia and Macedonia.

-----------------

I've never heard of an earthquake in that area before (though it seems there were some in 1926) - it is quite far away from the edge of any plate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: