Jemima Khan interviews GG for New Statesman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rat au Van

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Jemima Khan interviews GG for New Statesman Reply with quote

Jemima Khan has just interviewed GG and this will be published next week. As well a giving you all a heads-up, the main purpose of this post is to ask about some strange comments Khan has made on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/Jemima_Khan
"My i/view with Gorge George in @NewStatesman in which he discusses Bradford, Ed Mili, Big Bro, his new wife but not his conversion to Islam"
"Private Eye may call him Mr George G Allahsway but he won't discuss his conversion to Islam over a decade ago."

She is still posting comments about the interview as I post this.

I'm sure George has been very open about his Catholicism on the old Radio Show. Where has this conversion story come from?

Edit:
Oh, here's a link to the online version, freshly published:
luke

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Galloway MP
12 minutes ago via Mobile
Quote:
The opening statement in Jemimah Khan's piece in today's New Statesman is a lie. As I told her before she wrote it. No such ceremony ever happened, in Kilburn or anywhere else

I always thought that all you needed to do in order to become a Muslim was to say "I believe in Allah, the one God" and then to follow the rules of the religion.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MP hits back over magazine’s claims
Telegraph and Argus (Bradford)
27th April 2012

George Galloway last night said he had placed matters in the hands of his solicitor after a national magazine reported that he had converted to Islam in a ceremony at a London hotel more than a decade ago.

Following its publication, Mr Galloway, who won the Bradford West seat for the Respect Party in March, demanded a retraction, tweeted that it was a “total stitch-up” and issued a statement denying that the conversion ceremony took place.

In response, the magazine said it was notable Mr Galloway did not deny being a Muslim convert, adding “he did not deny it when it was put to him at the time of the interview, which is on tape. Contrary to his press release, nor did he deny the ceremony took place when it was put to him during the interview. This is also on tape.

“Furthermore, he failed to clarify how, by his own admission, he had a ‘nikah’ (a Muslim marriage ceremony), despite the fact a non-Muslim man cannot marry a Muslim woman under Islamic law. As for calling his ‘secretary’ his ‘special adviser’, this is how she asked to be described in an e-mail to Jemima Khan.”

Mr Galloway declined to speak to Telegraph & Argus about the issue yesterday. But last night he issued a further statement which stated: “The further allegations from the New Statesman in response to my rebuttal moves the issue into the area of defamation. Jemima Khan asked me on tape about this phantom ceremony in Kilburn and I told her it was a lie and whoever told her it was a liar. No trace of this exchange appears in the New Statesman piece, which is predicated upon it. Now that they are denying my denial it places the matter in the hands of my solicitor.”

---------------

Defamation? I'd have thought it was simply just libel in that they're accusing him of being deceitful - which I suppose is defamation after all... ahem.
MegaChairmanMao

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the worst piece of "journalism" I've ever seen.

Here is GG saying that he's a Catholic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXSYJhrFuas

If you type "George Galloway Catholic" into Google its right at the top of the results page. Honestly, how much effort and research does that take? Did Jemima get her qualifications from the back of a Cornflakes box?
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Pirty's Purgatory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: