food chat
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: food chat Reply with quote

its got a bit quiet in here recently, so i thought i'd start a general food chat for posts that don't really warrant their own thread.

so anything you've cooked or anything you've eaten out that you want to share, post it up Smile

last bank holiday i had curried goat. i'd never tried goat before, and i don't think i've even seen it in the shops, but it was really nice - the meat was lovely, just melted in the mouth, nice flavours without being overly spicy hot. along with it i had some rice and peas ( which is actually rice and beans ) and that was surprisingly really nice. i mean its just rice and beans, but it was really tasty, its cooked with coconut, and there was different types of beans. i'm going to try and get the recipe for that and i'll share it here. i eat rice quite a bit but i haven't since then because once you've eaten it cooked like this normal rice is just boring!

another thing i had recently that i'd never tried before was oxtail. i've had oxtail soup before, but never a proper chunk of oxtail! it was cooked really nice, the meat just feel apart, it was cooked in this spicy sauce that kinda warmed you from the inside as you ate it. i'm going to try get the recipe for that as well, apparently oxtail is quite cheap, and the sauce was great - but i'd like to try it with a bit more sauce.

something i want to try cooking soon is nasi goreng. i'd seen it about but never tried it, but i picked up some frozen stuff from lidl a few weeks back and loved it! its an indonesian fried rice dish with vegetables ( and the lidl version has chicken in as well ) cooked with spices and coconut. i've looked about for recipes, and they all differ quite a bit, and you can get nasi goreng sauce/paste, but nothing really matches the lidl version so i've written down the spices and will be experimenting soon!

on the sweet side of things, i'm currently addicted to aldi turkish delight - its a chocolate bar filled with lovely gooey turkish delight goodness* Smile

* the goodness aspect of this may be a complete lie wink
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I'm a fan of Turkish delight, but I'm not a big fan of the rose taste. However, I do like lavender and violet. Rococo (a chocolate company from the UK) makes a great Violet bar. They also have some other fantastic, unique flavors. Their orange confite is fantastic and the basil and Persian lime is amazing.

I've been on a pad thai kick lately. But I haven't been making it. Just getting it at my favorite Thai restaurant. However, with my training kicking back in I probably need to stop that LOL
luke

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think i've ever tried any chocolate with lavender or violet - i'll have to keep a look out, and basil and persian lime sounds interesting

ive been going through a bit of a thai phase recently, i've been experimenting with thai style fish dishes, i want a nice thai coconut sauce, but one mild enough or that works so as not to overpower the fish. i had a bit of a mishap the first attempt when i mixed up teaspoon and tablespoon ... that was one seriously spicy sauce! Shocked
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, how I miss pad thai -- can't eat it now as the peanuts give me migraines. I've tried a version without it, but somehow, it's just not the same. Sad

The first time I ever had it was when I was working nights at the hospital - the girls convinced me to give it a try and we ordered in. Fantastic! (it was probably the best part of the night shift! Laughing)
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame you can't have it anymore eefan. I would think it would be quite different without the peanut. Is it just peanuts that do that? Could you try a different nut, like cashews or pistachio?
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skylace wrote:
That's a shame you can't have it anymore eefan. I would think it would be quite different without the peanut. Is it just peanuts that do that? Could you try a different nut, like cashews or pistachio?

Nope on all of those....I have found that soy nut butter is a half way decent substitute for peanut butter though. But MAJORLY expensive so don't do a lot of cooking with it.
luke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you try some chopped/crushed seeds instead eefan? some seeds can be quite nutty in flavour. might get your pad thai tasting a bit more like how it did with nuts
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good thought, I'm thinking that a peanut flavored sauce (well, soy nut!) should be ok as it's mostly the flavor I'm after.

Anyone have any idea what seeds would have a nutty flavor? I know quinoa is a grain with a nutty flavor, but I don't really use seeds.
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't nuts just seeds? Or is there some difference?
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

faceless wrote:
Aren't nuts just seeds? Or is there some difference?

Yes, there is a difference.

A nut is actually a type of fruit while a seed is an embryonic plant encased in a covering. Think of an an acorn, you eat the nut part of it (the fruit, just like you would the meat of an orange) and you may also eat the seed (as it's small but you don't eat the seeds in the fruit of the orange) Does that make sense? Think of it as eating the ovary that has eggs inside Surprised

If not wiki has a good article too
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting!
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried Quorn for the first time tonight. It was in sausage form and tasted fine. The texture was surprisingly good and chewable.
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is quorn....other than a great scrabble word...
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's some kind of manufactured fungus that they make into a meat substitute. That sounds pretty foul, but it's not bad at all
SpursFan1902
Pitch Queen

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right....it sounds foul! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> Aja's Kitchen All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: