Now THAT'S a neck-lump!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faceless
admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Now THAT'S a neck-lump! Reply with quote

Chinese man to have massive neck tumour removed
Monday, March 19, 2007

A man from China is to finally have a huge tumour removed today after discovering it 17 years ago. Huang Liqian, 58, first discovered a bizarre growth on the back of his neck in 1990, but chose to ignore it. However, as the years rolled on, it continued to increase in size at a rapid pace, with the growth ballooning to 15kg. Liqian developed symptoms such as severe pain and restricted movement two years ago, so he decided that it was time to find out what was happening to his body.

After finally approaching doctors with the growing problem, his medical diagnosis revealed that he had a neck tumour. Liqian was taken to the First Affiliated Hospital of Chongging University of Medical Services in southwest China's Chongging, where he is due to have the tumour removed.

------------------

it's like he's been squeezed like a tube of toothpaste - hope he gets sorted!
eefanincan
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how he swallowed anything! I'd venture a guess that all that puffiness in his upper body will disappear once the tumour is removed as it's likely putting pressure on the lymphatic system so that the fluid can't drain properly.

Wow! I wonder how anyone could go that long without getting something like that looked at.
Skylace
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just terrible. I hope he is able to get that sorted. How miserable for him.
IRiSHMaFIA
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eefanincan wrote:
I wonder how he swallowed anything! I'd venture a guess that all that puffiness in his upper body will disappear once the tumour is removed as it's likely putting pressure on the lymphatic system so that the fluid can't drain properly.

Wow! I wonder how anyone could go that long without getting something like that looked at.

That's what I thought as well eefan about swallowing anything. After leaving it so long I'm surprised he's not done permanent damage to his pharynx. I hope it all works out for the poor fella.
Brown Sauce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many call him the Elephant Man due to the huge tumor that is growing on his face. He in fact suffers from [wikipop]Neurofibromatosis[/wikipop] which in turn contributed to this really severe medical problem. Huang Chuncai was even featured on Channel 4 show Bodyshock. (TV SHOW).

In 2007, he had a first surgery to remove nearly 15 Kg of tumor from the right side of his face. In January 2008, he again had another surgery to remove another 5kg of tumor. A third surgery is expected this year to remove this remaining tumor which has greatly disfigure him.

http://www.islandcrisis.net/2009/09/elephant-man-huang-chuncai/
pirtybirdy
'Native New Yorker'

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor guy. :-(
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
luke

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw the documentary about that guy - it was on channel4 but you can't stream it, it was quite interesting, sad though.

in the documentary at the end they remove a lot of it, but there was still quite a bit left - but he could breath and eat easier

his wiki page doesn't have any new details - i wonder how he's doing now?
Red Durand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always amazes me the wide variety of things that can go wrong with the body - I've often felt that if you can imagine some medical condition, no matter how bizarre, something like it, or often something far more unusual, probably exists. Just spending a bit of time with a medical encyclopedia can be surprising reading!

It really is truth stranger than fiction I think.

It does remind me to be thankful to have relatively good health too.

Best wishes to both chaps, I hope their conditions have improved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Couchtripper Forum Index -> News mash All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: